Gina really is our queen of baking and this cake is no exception. Make sure you check out all of her recipes on this site as well as visiting her on her own website The Passionate Pantry.
The combo of rice bran syrup, which really is very tasteless with the black strap molasses has created not only an amazing texture, but a fantastic colour and taste (or course) Thanks Geens, you did it again!
Thanks for reading and please subscribe to have each update delivered to your inbox weekly.
Or better yet, come join us on the Insider Club to have extra Thermomixery each and every month!
- 60 Gram crystallised ginger
- 200 Milliliter light olive oil
- 200 Milliliter sour cream
- 160 Milliliter buttermilk
- 3 eggs
- 150 Gram light muscovado sugar (or brown sugar)
- 75 Gram Rice Malt Syrup or rice bran syrup BUY
- 75 Gram blackstrap molasses
- 400 Gram plain spelt flour (or plain flour)
- 2 Teaspoon bicarb soda
- 1 Teaspoon Pink Salt Flakes pink salt flakes BUY
- 3 Teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 1/2 Teaspoon Cinnamon-ground
- 1 1/2 Teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 Teaspoon ground allspice
Preheat oven to 180ºC. Line large loaf tin (25cm x 9.5cm) with baking paper.
Place crystallised ginger into Thermomix bowl and chop 3 sec/speed 7.
Scrape down sides of bowl. Add oil, sour cream, buttermilk, eggs, sugar, rice bran syrup and molasses and mix 4 sec/speed 4. Scrape sides and base of bowl. Mix 4 sec/speed 4.
Add flour, bicarb soda, salt and spices and mix 20 sec/Interval. Scrape around top of bowl and repeat 20 sec/Interval.
Pour batter into loaf pan, level out the top, then bake for 50-60 minutes or until a cake skewer comes out clean.
Let cool in pan for 15 minutes before transferring to a cake rack to cool completely.
Serve dusted with icing sugar, cream cheese frosting or with a simple lemon juice and icing sugar glaze.
Keeps well for a few day.