This is what you could call a summer soup! (‘Summer soup?’ I hear you cry!!) Yes, it is pretty refreshing, light enough for a warmer day, but filling enough for real meal when you add a whack of crusty bread, or crispy baked cheese tortillas...(now you are talking my language!) I had a lot of feedback about this picture when I posted it on social media, so go ahead, follow me on Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest or Twitter, so that you don’t miss the bus next time I post something yummy! You can start the drooling early....and then be patient! If one more person writes ‘recipe’ or dare I capitalise it ‘RECIPE’ on one more pic.....heads will roll....really...
Fiesta Corn Soup
- 2 eschalots, (shallots)
- 2 cloves smoked garlic (or just plain if you cannot source)
- 15 g chipotle chile in adobo sauce (tinned)
- 25 g Cobram Estate Extra Virgin Olive Oil EVOO BUY
- 1 Litre chicken stock liquid
- 500 g corn, frozen or fresh, kernal weight only
- freshly cracked black pepper to taste
- 1 tsp Pink Salt Flakes pink salt flakes BUY
- 4 cobs corn
- 2-3 spring onions, sliced
- 3 ripe avocadoes, diced
- 1 red chilli, sliced thinly
- 1 Handful coriander/cilantro, roughly chopped
- Drizzle EVOO as needed
- seasoning to taste
- 2 limes, juice only
- Garnish with grated cheese, corn chips, sour cream or all of the above!
Place eschalots, garlic, chipotle chile and EVOO into TM bowl and chop 4 sec/speed 4.
Scrape down sides of bowl and saute 5 min/Varoma/speed 2/MC off.
Add stock, corn and seasoning and cook 20 min/100℃/speed 2. Allow to cool slightly before pureeing 1 min/speed 8-9.
While the soup is cooking, prepare the salsa, by charring corn cobs over an open flame (gas cooktop or BBQ) turning as needed until well charred and softened. Cut corn from cob horizontally and set aside to cool slightly.
Combine corn with all remaining ingredients in a large non reactive bowl and toss gently.
Serve soup in large shallow bowls topped with as much salsa as you can cope with. We also added some cheese, corn chips and a good ole dollop of sour cream wouldn’t have gone astray!