We love this cake! It may well be the family weekend cake for years to come. It is lemony, moist (yes I went there) and gets better over a few days...is it even possible?
It is also the perfect way to refresh and feed your starter if you need to do that to get your lazy loaf on!
We are pretty sure you will enjoy this one. If you haven't joined our course yet, it is time! Come on in...the bakery is baking now!
Best of all, come join us on the Insider Club to have extra Thermomixery each and every month! #recipesthatwork #youcandoit
- 250 Grams Sourdough Starter or discard Recipe
- 230 Grams milk
- 200 Grams Raw Caster Sugar BUY
- 100 Grams Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO) BUY
- 2 eggs
- 2 Teaspoons Vanilla Bean Paste BUY
- 15 Drops doTERRA lemon oil (this is in addition to the zest) BUY
- 4 Tablespoons finely grated lemon zest
- 100 Grams Fresh Lemon Juice
- 300 Grams Cake flour Recipe
- 2 Teaspoons bicarb soda
- 1 Teaspoon Pink Salt Flakes BUY
- 175 Grams Ten Times sugar (icing sugar) or bought icing sugar Recipe
- 30 Grams Butter BUY
- Zest 2 lemons, finely grated
- 10 Drops doTERRA lemon oil BUY
- Enough Fresh Lemon Juice to bring it to your desired glaze consistency
- edible flowers to garnish
Preheat oven to 180°C and butter a 24cm ring cake tin generously. This cake needs to come out of the tin easily so just go for it.
Place starter, milk, sugar, EVOO, eggs, vanilla, lemon oil, zest and juice into the Thermomix bowl and blend 6 sec/speed 6.
Add remaining cake ingredients and mix 22 sec/Interval/dough setting. Finish combining with the aid of a spatula if necessary.
Scrape into prepared tin and tap gently on the bench to level the top.
Bake 40 minutes until springing back when you touch it in the middle of the largest part of the cake. It should also be golden.
Cool in the tin on a wire rack, completely before removing.
To make the glaze place the sugar, butter and lemon zest into the Thermomix bowl and blend 10 sec/speed 10. Add lemon oil, and lemon juice and blend until well combined. Drizzle over cold cake and decorate with edible flowers if using. This cake improves in flavour over a few days.