This cake is the perfect cake to use as a help yourself dessert for a huge crowd. I have made this cake on more than a few occasions now. Slice cake up on a platter, next to a massive bowl of berries with the ice cream, whipped cream also mounded up in large bowls, there is a lushness to it all that is inviting.
SO easy...and best idea yet, pierce cooked cake(s) several times over and over with a skewer and pour that hot citrus dessert syrup over while they are still in the tins. YUM. Sticky goodness. (OH and don’t forget the cream/ice cream!)
We invite you to come join our FREE TRIAL on the Insider Club to have extra Thermomixery each and every month! #recipesthatwork #youcandoit
- 400 Grams Raw Caster Sugar BUY
- 2 lemons, zest finely grated
- 1 orange, zest finely grated
- 250 Grams Butter cubed BUY
- 6 eggs
- 440 Grams Cake flour Recipe
- 100 Grams Fresh Lemon Juice
- 1/2 Teaspoon Pink Salt Flakes BUY
- 1 Teaspoon baking soda
- 250 Grams Sour Cream
- 1 Teaspoon Vanilla Bean Paste BUY
- 4 doTERRA Wild Orange Oil BUY
- 2-3 Drops doTERRA lemon oil BUY
Citrus Dessert Syrup
- 1 orange, zest and juice
- 1 lemon, zest and juice (or lime)
- 100 Grams water
- 200 Grams sugar
- Loads of fresh berries to serve
- Perfect Whipped Cream to serve Recipe
- Killer Vanilla Ice Cream to serve Recipe
Preheat oven to 170ºC fan forced setting.
Prepare 3 loaf tins by coating generously with melted butter and sprinkle with granulated sugar.
Place sugar and zests into Thermomix bowl and mill 20 sec/speed 9.
Add butter to Thermomix bowl and chop 20 sec/speed 6.
Whip 1.5 min/Butterfly/speed 3.
Remove Butterfly and add eggs and 100g of the flour.
Combine 20 sec/speed 5.
Add remaining flour, juice, salt, bicarb soda, sour cream, vanilla and orange and lemon oils.
Blend 30 sec/speed 8, with the aid of the spatula. Scrape down sides and repeat.
Pour batter into prepared tins. Bake for around 75-90 minutes or until skewer comes out clean, then leave in switched off oven to cool.
Remove from tins. Dust with icing sugar.
CITRUS DESSERT SYRUP
Place all ingredients into Thermomix bowl and cook 5 min/90℃/speed 2.
Syrup will keep for a week in the fridge in a screw top jar. Delicious served over almost any dessert!