This dish is a bit of a surprise. I have eaten grits in the USA but was not a fan. If you add some cheese and plenty of butter, salt and pepper though, grits could fast become your favourite go-to starchy dish. I am now just a little bit addicted. (I mean, add enough Pepe Saya butter to anything and you can get addicted!)
This is a great side dish for any main meal and could take the place of rice, mash or pasta in most instances. It is traditionally served at breakfast in the southern states of the USA and could have bacon, sausage, eggs, or baked beans (or all of the above) served with it. I personally think it can easily take the place of polenta at any given opportunity. So eat your grits people. YUM.
Best of all, come join us on the Insider Club to have extra Thermomixery each and every month! #recipesthatwork #youcandoit
- 100 Grams Parmesan cheese, cubed
- 100 Grams Mature Cheddar Cheese or Gruyere, cubed (this is totally preference based!)
- 1 Teaspoon Pink Salt Flakes BUY
- 450 Grams liquid stock/broth of choice (I used chicken)
- 200 Grams white maize meal/grits (available at specialty grocery stores)
- 70 Grams Butter plus loads more for serving BUY
- Freshly cracked black pepper, to taste
- Sliced spring onions, to garnish, if desired
Place cheeses into the Thermomix bowl and mill 10 sec/speed 10. Remove from bowl and set aside
Place salt, stock/broth and maize meal/grits into the Thermomix bowl and cook 8 min/100°C/ speed 3.
Add grated cheese and butter to the Thermomix bowl and blend 60 sec/speed 4. It will thicken on standing and if it appears thicker than you would like once cooked, just add more stock and incorporate.
Serve immediately with plenty of additional butter, cracked pepper and sliced spring onions if desired.
This is just one of our Insider recipes. Join us today and start cooking!