Chunky Chilli With Cheesey SconesMake on Drop
Once upon a time I used to cook using a slow cooker and an oven. Then I got a Thermomix and now there is a Thermomix 6 on the go. A Thermomix that has a slow cooker function. This recipe had needed a rewrite for some time, so guess what? We slow cooked it in the TM6 with OK results, though to be honest, I think the option of using the Thermomix for slow cooking as always been around. I have been doing it for years.
Anyway, this is the good ole original version. I think if you want to use the Thermomix for this recipe in entirety, by all means, halve everything and you're on!
Thanks for reading and please subscribe to have each update delivered to your inbox weekly.
Or better yet, come join us on the Insider Club to have extra Thermomixery each and every month!
- 1 Pinch chilli flakes
- 170 Grams Parmesan cubed
- 100 Grams Taleggio or Fontina cheese, cubed
- 50 Grams Unsalted Butter BUY
- 300 Grams SR flour
- 1 Pinch Pink Salt Flakes BUY
- 200 Grams Creme Fraiche (homemade) or sour cream Recipe
- 3 - 4 onions, peeled and halved
- 5 Garlic Cloves
- 1 Chipotle chilli in adobo sauce
- 3 Teaspoons Ground Cumin
- 3 Teaspoons Ground Coriander
- 3 Teaspoons Ground Turmeric
- 3 Teaspoons Smoked Paprika
- 1/2 Teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
- 1 Kilo casserole beef, cubed
- 1 Kilo pork neck, cubed
- Pink Salt Flakes to taste BUY
- 2 Tablespoons Coconut Sugar
- 680 Grams Crushed Tomatoes
- 140 Grams tomato paste
- 2 Tins Red Kidney Beans drained and rinsed
- 2 Tablespoons Balsamic Vinegar
- Fresh coriander, oregano and mint to taste
- Diced fresh tomatoes, for garnish
- Steamed rice to serve (Optional)
Preheat oven to fan forced 200°C.
Place chilli flakes and cheeses into Thermomix bowl and chop 8 sec/speed 8.
Add remaining ingredients and knead for 1 min/Interval or until well combined.
Turn out onto floured Silpat mat and bring together with hands and extra flour if needed. Roll out and cut into scone sized rounds. Bake for 10-15 minutes until golden. Keep warm until service.
Place onions, garlic, drained chillies and all ground spices into Thermomix bowl and chop 5-6 sec/speed 7. Scrape into Slow Cooker and add meat, tomatoes and paste salt and sugar.
Now this is where you gotta love a Slow Cooker…turn it onto the lowest setting and cook for 12 hours…yes folks, you read it correctly, 12 hours. It smells divine after about 4 hours, and is simply mouthwatering any time after that.
During the last hour add the vinegar, beans, they really just need to heat through without breaking up. (If you wanted to use dried beans you can add them in with the other ingredients at the beginning of the cooking time.)
Scoop some rice into each bowl, split the scones and top with the chilli. Add fresh chopped herbs, tomatoes, and any other freshness you would like to add, to taste.