I am partial to a fluffy soft dinner roll on any occasion! I think it started with my American Thanksgiving experiences. Dinner rolls were pretty much required. Of course, they probably came from Costco, but as I do have this amazing buttermilk bread recipe that makes the best rolls and bread out there, the six options were just a cute idea to get you baking something a bit special for Christmas. But don't stop there. Anytime a dinner roll is required...these are your go to.
Pin them now!
Best of all, come join us on the Insider Club to have extra Thermomixery each and every month! #recipesthatwork #youcandoit
- 30 Grams Bakers or Strong Flour BUY
- 30 Grams Raw Caster Sugar BUY
- 120 Grams buttermilk
- 2 Teaspoons dried yeast
- 350 Grams Bakers or Strong Flour BUY
- 210 Grams buttermilk
- 2 Pinches Pink Salt Flakes BUY
- 25 Grams Butter Plus an extra 2 tablespoons of melted butter to brush the buns with BUY
#1 Shallot and Cheddar
- 1/2 small shallot, chopped finely
- 30 Grams Mature Cheddar Cheese grated, save half for the top
#2 Thyme and Olive
- 2 springs of fresh thyme leaves. Save some for the top
- 30 Grams black olives, pitted and chopped
- 10 Grams panko breadcrumbs, for the top
#3 Garlic and Dill
- 1 Garlic Cloves chopped finely
- 2 sprigs of fresh dill, chopped, saving some for on top
- 1/2 Teaspoon Fennel Seeds
#4 Bagel Buns
- 20 Grams sunflower seeds
- a pinch of each; sesame seeds, poppy seeds, dried onion flakes, dried garlic flakes, fennel seeds and salt mixed together in a small bowl.
#5 Rosemary and Black Pepper
- 2 sprigs or rosemary, leaves
- ground black and pink pepper
#6 White Dinner Rolls
- no additions, but top with seeds if desired
Place roux ingredients into the Thermomix bowl and cook 3 min/80°C/speed 3. Cool slightly. Leave in the Thermomix bowl.
Add all dough ingredients, in the order listed and mix 10 sec/speed 6. Knead 4 min/Interval. Scrape out onto floured silpat mat and wrap up. Prove until doubled in size.
Preheat oven to 200°C. Line an oven tray with baking paper.
Divide dough into 6 balls (if you're making all 6 ways) using extra flour as needed. Flatten each ball and add additions as below;
Shallot and Cheddar; Place shallot and half the cheddar onto the dough. Knead by hand until combined. Roll into 4 balls, brush with melted butter and press each into the remaining cheese.
Thyme and Olive; Place thyme and olives onto the dough. Knead by hand until combined. Roll into 4 balls, brush with melted butter and press into panko crumbs.
Garlic and Dill; Place garlic, dill and fennel seeds onto the dough. Knead by hand until combined. Roll into 4 balls, brush with melted butter and top with fresh dill.
Bagel Buns; Place sunflower seeds onto the dough. Knead by hand until combined. Roll into 4 balls, brush with melted butter. Press into the seeds mixture.
Rosemary and Pepper; Place rosemary and pepper onto the dough. Knead by hand until combined. Roll into 4 balls, brush with melted butter. Coarsely grind both peppers on top.
White Dinner Rolls; Knead dough into 4 balls, brush with melted butter. Top with seeds if desired.
Place buns onto the oven tray, grouped in flavours. Cover gently and prove until doubled.
Bake for 15-18 minutes, or until lightly browned.
Serve warm, with MORE butter.