I love salads, and with imminent summer peeking in my window earlier and earlier each morning, I am really, truly, trying to eat more of them and less of the decadent stuff that seems to make its way with more frequency onto this blog…so if you likee, make sure you LIKEE it on Facebook and maybe I will get my ducks in a row and put more of the same same up….You only need a couple of weird and wonderfuls for this one. First up, go and visit my friend at her brand new online store TasteBom.com and purchase some of the freeze dried capers. If you are a savoury sort of snacker, then this is the snack for you, so go ahead, buy 2 packs to save postage. They are amazing in this salad, and thus less of my fave Murray River pink salt flakes, as these are little bursts of umami surprise when you get a salty caper.
Enjoy…bring on the summer salad days!
- 1 Pack heirloom tomato mix, or 250g mini tomatoes of choice
- Drizzle of real maple syrup
- Pinch Pink Salt Flakes Pink salt flakes BUY
- 1 lemon, zest, finely grated
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO) EVOO as needed BUY
- 1 Bunch Kale, stalks trimmed
- 1 lemon, juice
- 1 Handful italian parsley
- A few thyme flowers
- 1 Handful pine nuts, toasted
- 100 g fresh mozarella, torn into pieces
- 2 - 3 tbsp TasteBom dried capers or to taste
- Cobram Estate Extra Virgin Olive Oil Additional EVOO as needed BUY
Preheat oven to 160ºC.
Line a baking tray with paper.
Slice tomatoes in halves, laying directly onto the tray. Drizzle with Maple Syrup, salt, lemon zest and EVOO. Turn oven down to 150ºC and roast tomatoes until caramelised and sticky. Cool.
Meanwhile, place kale into Thermo bowl with lemon juice and chop in batches to desired texture. I prefer chunky, 3-4 sec/speed 5 for kale as it is wiry.
Arrange on a platter or divide between plates.
Finish with parsley, thyme flowers, pine nuts, mozzarella, roasted tomatoes, and capers. Drizzle all with roasting juices from tomatoes and additional EVOO to taste.
Eat immediately….or at your leisure…aaah, summer is on it’s way!