Panforte ~ Cake From SienaMake on Drop
I have cooked up a bunch of mini Panfortes, the cake from Siena which of course is a destination on my dream list. Some lucky friends will end up with these wrapped in mountains of cellophane and ribbon, all Chrismassy and fragrant, very Donna Hay, and very delish! Mr. Music...Cue Silent Night please!
Note; Of course, (years later as I add this!!) there is so much more Merry Christmix spirit on here than ever! So make sure you check out my Chrissy recipes that are for sale in beautiful cookbooks and ebooks. Or do a search for Christmas for a stunning array of options on here. Hope yours is safe, not silly and a wonderful time of year! (Dec 2014)
We now have an amazing Lazy Sourdough Bakery course available to do at your own pace online. We are adding more courses in 2022. Check us out!
Best of all, come join us on the Insider Club to have extra Thermomixery each and every month! #recipesthatwork #youcandoit
- 1/2 Fresh Nutmeg grated with microplane
- 1 Cinnamon Stick(s)
- 1 Teaspoon Cardamom Pods
- 1 Teaspoon Ground Ginger
- 1 Vanilla Bean BUY
- 100 Grams Chocolate dark, in pieces BUY
- 2 Tablespoons Brew Choc dry granules BUY
- 75 Grams Unsalted Butter BUY
- 50 Grams Raw Caster Sugar BUY
- 100 Grams Honey
- 1/2 Teaspoon Almond Extract
- 10 Drops doTERRA Wild Orange Oil or finely grated zest of 1 orange BUY
- 55 Grams Cornflour or Cornstarch
- 40 Grams Cocoa Powder BUY
- 20 - 30 Grams Chocolate additional dark in pieces BUY
- 200 Grams mixed nuts of choice (almonds, hazelnuts, cashews, pecans, walnuts, pistachios)
- 300 - 400 Grams glace and dried fruits, chopped (glazed cherries red, glazed apricots, pineapple, figs, dried cherries, and craisins)
Preheat oven to 160ºC. Butter 5-6 small paper cake cases. (Available at kitchen stores.) Or, use a large round spring form cake tin and line the base. You can then cut the cake into wedges and wrap separately, for the DJ look!
Place nutmeg, cinnamon, cardamom, ginger and vanilla bean into Thermomix bowl and mill 10 sec/speed 8.
Add chocolate, Brew Choc granules, butter and sugar to Thermomix bowl and chop 2 sec/speed 8. Scrape down sides of bowl and add honey and cook 4 min/60ºC/speed 1.
Add essences, flour and cocoa and combine 10 sec/speed 4. Scrape down sides of bowl and repeat if necessary.
Add fruit and nuts and combine 20 sec/Interval.
Bake 30 minutes or until fragrant and set in the centre. You want a little chewiness to the end result. If you are making this in one bigger tin, cooking time will be as much as 1 hour or longer. Just make sure it is no longer glossy on the top, that the centre is almost set and the edges are not burnt!
Leave to cool in turned off oven.
Dredge with icing sugar twice, leaving a few hours between. Wrap and give away OR slice into thin slices and eat! (No, not all of them, just one!)