Curried Lentils with Poached Eggs
Whether you are a breakfast person or not (I am not) there are occasions where a hearty breakfast is required! This is one of those, and would suit a lazy Sunday morning with friends. It is divine, could do double duty as lunch no worries and all you have to do is get a bit organised then let your Thermo cooker do the rest!
Of course poaching eggs is a bit of an art form, so make sure the skilled egg poacher in your household does that job.
A few tips for poaching are;
1. Use a dash of vinegar as well as a pinch of salt in the poaching water as this helps the white stick together a bit better.
2. Use plenty of water but don't go with a large pot, best a smaller circumference and deeper.
3. Only attempt a couple of eggs at a time and don't crack them into the pot directly, but into a small bowl first.
4. Bring the water to the boil, then reduce the heat so it is just simmering before adding the eggs.
5. Stir the water to create a whirlpool as you add the eggs, this will also help bring the white together to create a nice neat egg.
6. Use a slotted spoon to transfer the cooked eggs onto a paper towel to drain. Nothing worse than adding a slosh of egg water to your Curried Lentils!
There you go kids. Expert egg poaching at your service.
We invite you to come join our FREE TRIAL on the Insider Club to have extra Thermomixery each and every month! #recipesthatwork #youcandoit
Our newest (FREE to Insiders) course Shelf Control will get your pantry and fridge in order this February! We have an amazing Lazy Sourdough Bakery course available to do at your own pace online. Our delicious course, The Whole Scoop Ice Cream course is churning now!
The Spice Mix
- 8 whole black peppercorns
- 4 whole cloves
- 4 whole allspice
- 1/2 Teaspoon cardamom seeds
- 1 star anise
- 3 Garlic Cloves
- 2 small green chillis
- 20 Grams Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO) BUY
- 1 small carrot, roughly chopped
- 1 stalk celery, roughly chopped
- 1 Brown Onion brown, peeled and halved
- 2 Teaspoons Raw Caster Sugar BUY
- 40 Grams tomato paste
- 1-2 Teaspoons curry powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon ground coriander
- a little Fresh nutmeg freshly grated
- 1 Cinnamon Stick(s)
- 2 Bay Leaf fresh or dried
- 220 Grams whole green lentils
- Pink Salt Flakes to taste BUY
- freshly cracked black pepper to taste
- 2 lemons, juice only
- 1 Litre water
- 1-2 eggs per serving
- 2 slices Grilled Toast per serving
- Diced cherry tomatoes and sliced spring onions
- Handfuls Fresh Coriander leaves
- Pot set yoghurt to taste Recipe
Place the spice mix ingredients into a dry frying pan and toast on a medium high heat until just smoking. Tip into the Thermomix bowl and mill 20 sec/speed 8.
Add the garlic, chillies, EVOO, carrot, celery and onion to the Thermomix bowl and chop 6 sec/speed 6. Scrape down sides of bowl and saute 6 min/Varoma/speed 1.
Add all remaining 'Lentils' ingredients to the Thermomix bowl and cook 40 min/Varoma/Reverse/speed soft.
Test that the lentils are soft and add cooking time if needed. (Times can vary depending on the age of the lentils used.)
Serve in large bowls with soft poached eggs, toast on the side, and garnished with cherry tomatoes, spring onions, coriander leaves and yoghurt. Season to taste.
This is just one of our Insider recipes. Join us today and start cooking!