English Muffin Croque Monsieur
- Croque Monsieur: The Croque Monsieur is a classic French sandwich (usually) made with two slices of crusty bread. Traditionally, it is filled with ham and cheese, often Emmental or Gruyère. The sandwich is then grilled or toasted until the cheese is melted and the bread turns golden and crispy. The name "Croque Monsieur" translates to "Mister Crunch" or "Mister Crispy" in English.
- Croque Madame: The Croque Madame is a slight variation of the Croque Monsieur, and it is essentially a Croque Monsieur with a fried or poached egg on top. The addition of the egg is what distinguishes the Croque Madame from its counterpart. The egg represents the "hat" of Madame, giving it a playful and distinctive appearance. The yolk of the egg adds richness and flavor to the sandwich, making it even more satisfying!
With apologies to the French, we have again used a couple of our amazing recipes to combine into this one new recipe! We are all about you using this site to its full potential. Voila, the English Muffins recipe, meeting Tenina's Crazy Good Bechamel Sauce recipe. Add a little butter, add a little cheese and ham! What is not to love?
If you wanted two recipes for the price of one, this is it. Add a fried/poached egg on top and you are literally tipping your hat to the Croque Madame. Now don't say I never give you anything!
Bon Snack Appetit.
Try some of our other uses for the bechamel...you will be amazed at just how crazy good it is!
We invite you to come join our FREE TRIAL on the Insider Club to have extra Thermomixery each and every month! #recipesthatwork #youcandoit
Our newest (FREE to Insiders) course Shelf Control sort out your pantry and fridge and is ready for your shelfies now! We have an amazing Lazy Sourdough Bakery course available to do at your own pace online. Our delicious course, The Whole Scoop Ice Cream course is churning now!
- 1 Batch English Muffins ready to use Recipe
- 1 Batch Crazy Good Bechamel Sauce cooked and cooled Recipe
- 2 Teaspoons Dijon mustard per muffin
- 2 Slices shaved ham per muffin
- 1-2 Slices Swiss cheese per muffin
- butter or EVOO for frying BUY
- parmesan cheese finely grated, to taste
You need to fully premake the muffins and bechamel sauce in advance. As both of those things keep well in the fridge or freezer, this is the perfect prep ahead recipe!
Preheat oven to 180°C.
Split the muffins and fry the outsides in a little butter until golden and fragrant. Make sure you use a frying pan that can be transferred to the oven without any problems.
Spread one side of the muffin with cold bechamel sauce and the other side with dijon mustard. Load up the dijon spread muffin with ham and add a little more bechamel. Top with cheese and the other muffin half and spread some more bechamel on the top.
Return each muffin to the frying pan and cook on a medium low heat until well heated. Sprinkle some grated parmesan on top and place entire frying pan into the oven for around 10 minutes or until golden and toasty and cheese is all melted!
This is just one of our Insider recipes. Join us today and start cooking!