Well I have always been fruity, just ask my kids! They barely cope with the idea of fruit in something savoury, but we persist and then suddenly my daughter announces that this is her favorite salad of all…I personally LOVE the nectarines. Roasted, sticky, with a few grains of salt, there is nothing quite like them. This is lovely served with a roast pork. The fruit replaces the need for apple sauce and lifts the family roast to a whole new level. Enjoy :)
- 4 large beetroot, peeled and quartered
- 3 large spanish onions, peeled and cut into 8 wedges
- 3 large pears, peeled and cut into wedges
- 3 large nectarines, cut into wedges
- 50 g Cobram Estate Extra Virgin Olive Oil EVOO BUY
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 - 6 Handful mixed salad leaves
- 150 g toasted pecans or walnuts
- 1/2 wheel of triple cream brie
- 1 Batch pesto Hey Pesto!
- 1 - 2 lemons, juice
- Additional EVOO as needed
Preheat oven to fan forced 220 degrees Celcius.
Place cut up beetroot and onions in lined shallow roasting dish.
In separate dish place pears and nectarines. Divide sugar, vinegar and oil evenly between the dishes and toss through gently.
Roast for 1 hour or until vegetables are tender and all liquid is almost evaporated. (The pears and nectarines do not need as much time as the beetroot and onions, so roasting them for 30 minutes should suffice.)
Cool veggies and fruit separately to preserve colours.
Assemble salad by tossing dressing through the greens.
Top with roasted beets, onions, fruit, the nuts and sliced cheese.
Place all ingredients into Thermomix bowl and blend for 10 sec/speed 4.
Toss gently and drizzle with dressing.