Mexican Charred Corn and Quinoa Salad
This is seriously one of my favourite salads ever. I think I was doing something right the day this was invented. I love it with or without the Chicken Tinga, it is fantastic as a lunch with crusty bread. I love it as leftovers, it is perfect with pork, fish or BBQ-ed beef, whatever your fancy, this salad does the distance. You can increase the yield to serve a lot of people or just have leftovers...for days. It improves a little with age, just like all good things!
This recipe originally appeared in Keeping it Simple but was created for my Mexican cooking classes, which may be online one of these days, keep hoping! In the meantime, YUM. Enjoy.
Best of all, come join us on the Insider Club to have extra Thermomixery each and every month! #recipesthatwork #youcandoit
- 90 Grams quinoa, soaked and drained
- Water for steaming
- 2 cobs corn
- 1 red capsicum, diced
- 1 Lebanese cucumber, sliced
- 2 spring onions, sliced on an angle
- 1 Punnet grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 Tin Red Kidney Beans kidney beans, drained
- Handfuls Fresh Coriander (reserve roots for dressing)
- Handful fresh Basil leaves
- 120 Grams feta
- 1-2 avocados, diced
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 Red Chillie(s)
- Roots and stalks of coriander
- 2-3 sprigs oregano leaves
- Juice each 1 lemon, lime and orange (minimum 150g)
- Pinches each cumin and coriander seeds
- 2 Teaspoons Pink Salt Flakes BUY
- 1 Teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 15 Grams Coconut Sugar
- 150 Grams Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO) BUY
Soak quinoa for a few hours. Rinse well before placing into TM basket. Insert basket into Thermomix bowl and add enough water to just be visible through the quinoa.
Steam 14 min/100ºC/speed 4. Remove basket from bowl and cool. Drain water from Thermomix bowl.
Meanwhile, to char corn, place peeled corn cobs onto an open flame (gas cooker or BBQ) and turn occasionally until well coloured. They will pop and make a lot of noise. Remove and cool before slicing the kernels off the corn cob.
Place into a large mixing bowl with all the other salad ingredients including cooled quinoa, except feta and avocado.
Toss gently to combine.
To make dressing, place all ingredients into Thermomix bowl and blend 20 sec/speed 8. Pour over salad and stir through. Add feta and avocado just prior to serving and stir to combine.
A great accompaniment to Chicken Enchiladas or a fabulous vegetarian main course salad.
This is one of our amazing Insider recipes. Join us today and start cooking!