Asian Ginger Fish & Vegies
I copied (or tried to copy) this recipe from my local takeaway. The chef is Cambodian and I just love this authentic dish so much that I always order it. Of course, he wasn’t sharing, so I had to play around, a lot, but I think I am close. Quite delish, quite easy and completely a one-cook-and-your-hooked wonder.
The traditional method of lightly battering an entire fish and then deep frying it in a wok of hot oil never works for me, I can dine out for that experience. So I recommend fish fillets, dipped in flour, egg, seasoned panko crumbs then lightly shallow fried. You do need the crunch of the fried fish in my opinion. But who am I?
We invite you to come join our FREE TRIAL on the Insider Club to have extra Thermomixery each and every month! #recipesthatwork #youcandoit
Our newest (FREE to Insiders) course Shelf Control will get your pantry and fridge in order this February! We have an amazing Lazy Sourdough Bakery course available to do at your own pace online. Our delicious course, The Whole Scoop Ice Cream course is churning now!
- 90 Grams Fresh Ginger peeled
- 3 Garlic Cloves
- 1 stalk lemongrass, white part only
- 1 Red Onion halved
- 20 Grams Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO) BUY
- 50 Grams fermented soybeans (from Asian grocers)
- 25 Grams Chilli Jam Recipe
- 700 Grams tomatoes, quartered
- 300 Grams liquid stock of choice OR 300g water and 2 tbsp chicken stock powder
- 30 Grams Coconut Sugar
- 300 Grams white rice
- 2 bunches bok choy
- 4–5 spring onions, cut into 5cm lengths
- Fresh coriander leaves to garnish
- 1 white fish fillet per serve, crumbed and fried, OR 1 fish fillet per serve if steaming option is used
Place ginger, garlic, lemongrass, onion and EVOO into the Thermomix bowl and chop 3 sec/speed 5.
Saute 5 min/Varoma/speed 1/MC off.
Add soybeans, chilli jam, tomatoes, liquid stock and sugar. Cook 5 min/Varoma/speed 1.
Rinse rice well through simmering basket and insert into the Thermomix bowl.
Place bok choy and spring onions into Varoma dish.
If you wish to steam fish as opposed to frying it (I recommend using crumbed fried fish; it adds needed texture, and is more traditional), place fish onto Varoma tray and set Varoma into position.Cook 15 min/Varoma/Reverse/speed 4.
Serve sauce over rice, fish and vegetables.
This is just one of our Insider recipes. Join us today and start cooking!