This recipe is almost vegan. But we chose to fry our mushrooms in butter, ooops! However, follow suggestions if you are hoping for a vegan version of the most delicious dairy free 'Cream' of mushroom soup you have ever tasted. The cashews make it beautifully creamy, the drizzle of garlic oil and fried mushies on top are genius and the thyme...please grow some. Go with fresh, not dried. It is amazing. If we say so ourselves.
You really do own the Souper Bowl of appliances don't you? Enjoy!
Best of all, come join us on the Insider Club to have extra Thermomixery each and every month! #recipesthatwork #youcandoit
- 6 dried morel mushrooms, soaked in 50 grams boiling water
- 1 Red Onion peeled and halved
- 2 spring onions, roughly chopped
- 4 Garlic Cloves
- 30 Grams Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO) BUY
- 400 Grams Swiss Brown Mushroom(s) roughly chopped (leave a few whole mushrooms out to be cooked later)
- 100 Grams white wine
- 1 Litre liquid vegetable stock
- 1 Tablespoon Umami Paste Recipe
- 1 Tablespoon Miso (dark)
- Pink Salt Flakes and pepper to taste BUY
- 50 Grams Cashew
Garlic and Thyme Oil
- 3 Garlic Cloves peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 Tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- 3 Tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO) BUY
- 1/2 Teaspoon Black Pepper
- 20 Grams Butter BUY
- fresh thyme leaves, to garnish
To make the soup, soak dried morel mushrooms with boiling water for 30 minutes, until rehydrated. Set aside, retaining the liquid.
Place red onion, spring onions, garlic and EVOO into the Thermomix bowl. Chop 4 sec/speed 6. Sauté 5 min/Varoma/speed 1. Add morel mushrooms, including the soaking water and mushrooms. Chop 5 sec/speed 6. Cook 5 min/Varoma/speed 1.
Add wine, stock, umami, miso, salt and pepper and cook 20 min/100°C/speed 2. Add cashews and blend 2 min/speed 10.
To make the garlic and thyme oil, place all ingredients in a small frypan over a medium heat, cook until garlic starts to brown at the edges. Remove from heat. Allow to infuse as it cools.
Meanwhile, slice the remaining mushrooms, and fry in butter until nicely browned. (You can use EVOO for this if you are trying to keep this recipe vegan.)
Serve soup with a drizzle of the garlic oil, a couple slices of mushroom and thyme leaves.