I just love Mexican food, when it is as fresh and delicious as this, what's not to love? I trust you will enjoy it too ... then come tell me all about it on Facebook. (Don't forget to #cookingwithtenina whenever you create one of my recipes and post to social media. That way I can find the fruit of your efforts and share accordingly!)
This recipe is not dissimilar to the Mexican Soup here but without the use of hominy and with the addition of chicken. (I always come back to flavours that work for me!)
For me this soup is fantastic for either a large family like mine or you can turn down the volume on all of the accompaniments and just feed less...great summer or winter. This is an all rounder. Give it a whirl.
- 4-5 cloves of garlic
- 1 Handful fresh oregano
- 1 Handful fresh coriander/cilantro (plus some more for serving)
- 1 red chilli
- 1 onion, peeled and halved
- Zest 2 limes, finely grated
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO) BUY
- 2 chicken thigh fillets, cubed
- 1 Litre chicken stock
- 2 limes, juice
- 420 g tinned corn, drained, or equivalent fresh kernels
- 2-3 tomatoes, chopped roughly
- 1-2 kumatoes, chopped roughly
- 2 shallots, sliced
- 1 red capsicum, diced
- 1-2 avocadoes, sliced (drizzle with lime juice)
- 1/4 cabbage, shredded
- Coriander leaves
- 1 Pack plain corn chips
- creme fraiche - homemade or sour cream of choice Recipe
Place garlic, oregano, coriander, chilli, onion, zest, cumin and EVOO into TM bowl and chop 5 sec/speed 6.
Sauté 5 min/Varoma/speed 1.
Add remaining ingredients except corn and accompaniments, adding the squeezed lime skins into TM bowl as well.
Cook 10 min/100°C/Reverse/speed soft.
Remove lime skins and squeeze well using a slotted spoon.
Add corn and cook 4 min/100°C/Reverse/speed soft.
Serve with all accompaniments on the side.
You can add as much salad and accompaniments to this soup as you like, it could feed an army! It is a delicious ‘summer’ style soup but equally great in winter. Enjoy.