On my recent trip to Sydney for cooking classes, I had an incredible lunch…and all for only $12! (That is unheard of in the west any more; bring back sleepy cheap town!) I also took my wonderful team to another amazing restaurant for lunch, coffees, etc etc, we ordered large and there was four of us…$80! I think I need to move east! But I digress, back to the Mona Vale eatery lunch.
A divine, but extremely hot salad, which when it arrived I questioned as to why there was a big old lump of steamed rice included in the otherwise beautiful bowl of green goodness! Tucking in, it soon became apparent, one needed the rice to alleviate the spicy pain induced by the oh-so-yummy dressing. This is my version, the pic was thrown together at the last minute with my son’s excellent camera, but it is a flash pic, so not as yummy as it could have been.
Thanks for reading and please subscribe to have each update delivered to your inbox weekly.
Or better yet, come join us on the Insider Club to have extra Thermomixery each and every month!
- 100 g pork mince, per serving
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 2 tbsp cornflour
- Generous amount of white pepper
- Pink Salt Flakes Pink salt flakes, as needed BUY
- Oil as needed
- 4 Handful baby spinach
- 1/2 purple cabbage, shredded
- 100 g peanuts, salted and roasted
- Lime wedges and sliced chili to garnish
- 1 fresh pineapple, cut into pieces
- 3 spring onions, sliced lengthwise
- Generous Handful Vietnamese mint leaves
- Steamed rice to serve
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 20 g ginger, peeled
- 1 large red chilli, or to taste
- 50 g Coconut - Sugar coconut palm sugar BUY
- 40 g fresh lime juice
- 50 g fish sauce
- 50 g Cobram Estate Extra Virgin Olive Oil EVOO BUY
- small Handful basil leaves
Place mince, crushed garlic, corn flour, white pepper, salt and a little dash of oil into a frypan (I know…it is pronounced ‘FRY-ING’ pan) and cook on a medium-high heat until well cooked, a little caramelised and fragrant. Set aside. You can do this step in Thermomix if desired, but it is quicker in this more traditional way.
Assemble salad, dividing ingredients between serving bowls, including a dollop of steamed rice in each bowl as mentioned earlier. Top with cooked pork mince mixture.
To prepare salad dressing, place all ingredients into Thermo bowl and blend 30 sec/speed 8.
Drizzle salad dressing over salad, and serve immediately. (With a side of guilt for using the Fry pan!)