Asian Scallops with Crispy Pork
Due to lack of travel, we find ourselves creating all these fantastic Asian style dishes on the regular, and yes, you are welcome!
I just got back from Broome, which I found to be vibing Singapore and Bali all in one and so now as I write this, I am craving it again. It is SO good. We ended up using all of the scallops we purchased, and then tossing them through with everything as though it was just a salad, and I can highly recommend it if you don't want the fiddle of plating them up. But they are a party time winner as we have shown. Just be prepared to make more than you think you'll need.
Best of all, come join us on the Insider Club to have extra Thermomixery each and every month! #recipesthatwork #youcandoit
Asian Sticky Sauce
- 1 Cinnamon Stick(s) broken into pieces
- 2 Star anise
- 3 Garlic Cloves
- 10 Grams Fresh Ginger
- 2 Fresh Coriander root and stems (saving leaves for garnish)
- 30 Grams Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO) BUY
- 1/4 Teaspoon White Pepper
- 100 Grams palm sugar (not coconut sugar)
- 50 Grams liquid chicken stock
- 1/2 Tablespoon Fish Sauce
- 1 pork medallion
- 1 Pinch Pink Salt Flakes and pepper as needed BUY
- 2 Teaspoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO) plus more for frying BUY
- 4 Kaffir Lime leaves, sliced thinly (julienned)
- 2 spring onion, julienned thinly
- 2 Red Chillie(s) seeds removed, julienned
- Fresh Coriander leaves
- 2 shallots, sliced thinly
- 50 Grams Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO) BUY
- 12 sea scallops
- 1 Pinch Pink Salt Flakes BUY
- 1 Batch Green Nahm Jihm Green Nahm Jihm ready to go Recipe
To make the sauce, place cinnamon and star anise into the Thermomix bowl and mill 20 sec/speed 10. Add garlic, ginger, coriander root and stems, EVOO and white pepper. Chop 6 sec/speed 6. Sauté 5 min/Varoma/speed 1.
Add palm sugar, stock and fish sauce. Cook 2 min/Varoma/speed 1. Set aside. (You will have more than you need, but it is fantastic in all salad dressings!)
To make the Crispy Pork, place all ingredients into a stasher bag. Place blade cover into the Thermomix bowl. Place stasher bag on top. Fill up with water until bag is submerged. Cook 25 min/60°C/speed soft.
Place pork Into a clean Thermomix bowl with any liquid that is in the bag. Shred 4 sec/Reverse/speed 4 or until shredded.
Heat a good splash of EVOO in a pan over high heat. Fry shredded pork until browning and crispy. Set aside.
Prepare garnish ingredients, set aside.
To make the fried shallots, heat EVOO in a small saucepan and shallow fry shallots over a low-medium heat, slowly until crispy. Set aside on paper towel.
Once everything else is ready to go, fry the scallops over high heat with a pinch of salt. Fry till nicely caramelised on one side, turn over and cook for just a few seconds.
Prepare the spoon/bowls you are serving in. Place some Green Nahm Jihm in first, top with a scallop, then the salad, followed with some crispy pork, the sauce and topped off with fried shallots.
We found that if you wanted this as more of a main, it makes a fantastic salad, all tossed together gently in a large bowl.
This is just one of our Insider recipes. Join us today and start cooking!