Here we go again. That year flew by. We love to add Hot Cross Bun recipes to our repertoire every year and this is our 2021 version. Ultra delish. Ultra Eastery, and very very easy. Don't be dismayed at the ingredient list. It looks way more daunting than it is.
Hoppy Easter to you all. We know it has been a tough year, we trust things can only improve over time and hey, if you have a batch of these with your loved ones this year, life is good!
We invite you to come join our FREE TRIAL on the Insider Club to have extra Thermomixery each and every month! #recipesthatwork #youcandoit
Our newest (FREE to Insiders) course Shelf Control will get your pantry and fridge in order this February! We have an amazing Lazy Sourdough Bakery course available to do at your own pace online. Our delicious course, The Whole Scoop Ice Cream course is churning now!
- 85 Grams Bakers or Strong Flour BUY
- 310 Grams Brew Choc brewed and strained liquid BUY
- 2 Teaspoons dried yeast
- 1 Teaspoon Raw Caster Sugar BUY
- 360 Grams Bakers or Strong Flour BUY
- 1 Pinch Pink Salt Flakes BUY
- 2 Tablespoons Brew Choc dry granules BUY
- 3 Drops Cinnamon Bark Oil optional BUY
- 3 Drops doTERRA Wild Orange Oil optional BUY
- 3 Drops doTERRA lemon oil optional BUY
- 1 Teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
- 1 Teaspoon mixed spice
- 80 Grams Chocolate chopped BUY
- 80 Grams dried cherries (you can use raisins, but don't!)
The Cross Mix
- 3 Tablespoons Bakers or Strong Flour BUY
- 3 Tablespoons Cacao Powder BUY
- 1 Teaspoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO) BUY
- water as needed
- 25 Grams Raw Caster Sugar BUY
- 1 Pinch mixed spice
- 30 Grams water
Place Roux ingredients into the Thermomix bowl. Cook 5 min/100°C/speed 4. Cool.
Add yeast and sugar to the cooled mixture. Blend 1 min/speed 2.
Add all remaining dough ingredients except for the chocolate and cherries.
Combine 10 sec/speed 6. Knead 2 min/Interval/Dough setting.
Add chocolate and cherries. Knead 1 min/Interval/Dough setting
Tip dough out on to a floured silpat mat. Knead together by hand into a ball. Wrap up and let rise until doubled in size approx 1 hour.
Divide dough into 12 balls and place on to a lined baking tray. Leaving a small space between each. Cover and let rise until doubled in size and just touching.
To make the Cross Mix, place flour, cacao, EVOO and a splash of water into the Thermomix bowl. Mix 10 sec/speed 6. Add water as needed to create a smooth, pipe-able paste. Mix 10 sec/speed 6*. Pour into a piping bag with a small round nozzle. Pipe crosses onto the buns.
Place tray into a cold oven set to 200°C. This will give another small rise. Cook for 25 minutes or until browned.
To make the Spice Glaze, place all ingredients into a small saucepan and melt over medium heat until the sugar has dissolved.
Brush Spice Mix generously over the (hot) Hot Cross Buns! Serve warm with lashings of butter.