I did have to test this more than a few times, just to be sure...the things I sacrificed in the name of quality control! I love coconut desserts, and this is a thing of beauty. I hope you enjoy the magic chocolate coconut combo that I have explored before, and will no doubt explore again! This recipe is just one of the DELISH recipes that appear in Keeping it Simple, my cookbook that you should all have by now. (Just sayin’ there have been so many since then!!) So have a sneaky peek, give this a whirl, then go and invest! STAT.
- 70 g butter
- 250 g Coconut - Shredded shredded coconut BUY
- 1 tsp Vanilla - Bean Paste vanilla bean paste BUY
- Pink Salt Flakes Pinch pink salt flakes BUY
- 200 g Chocolate - Callebaut chocolate chips BUY
- 400 mls tin coconut cream
- 400 mls Coconut - Milk tin coconut milk BUY
- 2 eggs
- 50 g Chocolate - Callebaut white chocolate, in pieces BUY
- 100 g sugar
- 2 tsp Vanilla - Bean Paste vanilla bean paste BUY
- 70 g cornflour
- 100 g Coconut - Shredded shredded coconut BUY
- 600 mls carton cream
- Shaved chocolate and toasted shredded coconut to garnish**
BASE: To make base, place butter into TM bowl and melt 4 min/100ºC/speed 2.
Add coconut, vanilla and salt and blend 15 sec/speed 10.
Press into 23cm pie plate with removable base.
Place into a cold oven set to 200ºC and bake 10-15 minutes until golden and fragrant.
Remove from oven and place chocolate chips onto hot crust; allow to melt, before spreading with a palette knife or spatula. Cool completely.
FILLING: Place coconut cream and milk, eggs, chocolate, sugar, vanilla and cornflour into TM bowl and cook 10 min/80ºC/speed 4. Cook 2 min/90ºC/speed 4.
Add shredded coconut and stir through 10 sec/speed 4.
Pour into base and refrigerate 24 hours, covered with baking paper that is pushed onto the surface of the custard. Remove paper before topping with cream.
To finish, place cream into TM bowl and whip 20-40 sec/Butterfly/speed 4, checking frequently so as not to over whip.
Spread onto custard and garnish with chocolate and coconut.