Slow Cooked Beef Stew with Lime
Although this takes longer than you would normally take to cook dinner, it is amazing. The flavours will meld together beautifully over the cooking time and it gets better with age...just like me!
The reason we are using a cheap cut of meat is because slow cooking it will make it melt in your mouth. If by chance you are in a hurry or have purchased something a bit more expensive, cut the cooking time by at least half. The problem then will be the split peas...but soak or use a tinned variety instead! Happy Days.
Best of all, come join us on the Insider Club to have extra Thermomixery each and every month! #recipesthatwork #youcandoit
- 150 Grams yellow split peas, soaked and drained
- 4 brown onions, peeled and halved
- 20 Grams Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO) BUY
- 800 Grams casserole or chuck steak, cubed
- 1 Teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 Teaspoon ground smoked paprika
- 1/2 Teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
- 1/2 Teaspoon ground all spice
- 1 Tin Diced Tomatoes (rinse tin out with water and add)
- 150 Grams liquid beef stock
- 3 limes, juice only
- Pink Salt Flakes and black pepper to taste BUY
- Handfuls each fresh basil and mint leaves
- plain yoghurt to serve
Soak the split peas in enough boiling water to cover for at least an hour, overnight if possible. Drain,
Place onions and EVOO into Thermomix bowl and chop 3 sec/speed 6. Sauté 15 min/Varoma/speed 1/MC off.
Add all remaining ingredients other than herbs and yoghurt and cook 60 min/100°C/Reverse/speed 1.
Add herbs and stir through. Serve with rice and a dollop of yoghurt if desired.
IF you don't soak the split peas you may find they need a longer cooking time than is stated. Just check that they crush easily with the back of a spoon.
This is just one of our Insider recipes. Join us today and start cooking!