I love a good Mexican beef chilli....add some corn chips and more grated cheese than is really necessary, and I'm totally yours. I am a cheap date of course at the best of times. And this is cheap-ish...Don't make the mistake of using the best cut of meat out there, as it will result in tough and chewy chilli and then I'll have you all jumping onto Facebook asking me why....So go the cheaper cut, and take the time as mentioned; you won't regret it...
Thanks for reading and please subscribe to have each update delivered to your inbox weekly.
Or better yet, come join us on the Insider Club to have extra Thermomixery each and every month!
- 1 Teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 Teaspoon coriander seeds
- 1/2 cinnamon stick
- 1 Teaspoon ground paprika
- 2 Teaspoon ground tumeric
- 5 cloves of garlic
- 1 red chilli
- 1 onion, halved
- 50 Gram Cobram Estate Extra Virgin Olive Oil BUY
- 2 Teaspoon Pink Salt Flakes BUY
- 100 Gram tomato paste
- 1 Tin Tomatoes - Diced BUY
- 2 Tablespoon dark brown sugar
- 1 - 2 Tablespoon Cacao or cocoa
- 750 Gram beef casserole steak, cubed
- 1 Tin Beans - Red Kidney drained BUY
- Fresh grape tomatoes, grated cheese, sour cream, lemon zest, fresh coriander leaves, corn chips to garnish
Dry fry the cumin, coriander, cinnamon stick, paprika and turmeric in a hot frypan on Induction 10 until just smoking. Remove from heat and cool slightly.
Place into Thermomix bowl and mill 10 sec/speed 10.
Add garlic, chilli, onion, EVOO and salt and chop 2 sec/speed 4. Scrape down sides of bowl and saute 5 min/Varoma/speed 1.
Add remaining ingredients other than kidney beans and garnishes and cook 45 min/100ºC/Reverse/speed 1.
Add kidney beans and cook 2 min/100ºC/Reverse/speed 1.
Serve with steamed rice, and accompaniments as listed.
You may need to add time depending on the cut of beef you use. The cheaper cuts need longer to cook to break down the sinew, so if after the time is up, the beef is tough, add 15 minutes cooking time and retest. Continue until the beef literally falls apart with a fork.
Rump steak is recommended for a quicker cooking time, as little as 25 minutes cooking time..