During all this covid nonsense, we were able to source restaurant quality food at our local supermarket and that is when I snapped up some tuna steaks for a song. YUM! I had to come up with something special and although this is literally just a salad, it is a pretty good salad. It fed loads of us more than once and I would say the tuna was seriously a highlight for everyone. I did sear the tuna, as I suggest. It was perfection.
Knock yourself out with all of the salad options your family know and love. It is super pretty and really easy to prep ahead of needing to feed an army! The confit method is really easy as well. I hope you give it a whirl. You can use this method with salmon or other white fish as well.
Best of all, come join us on the Insider Club to have extra Thermomixery each and every month! We are the leading online portal for all Thermomix recipes.
- 400 Grams fresh tuna, or more depending how many you're serving
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO) enough to cover the tuna BUY
- 1 Tablespoon black sesame seeds, optional
- 4 eggs
- 200 Grams green stringless beans
- 1 Tin canellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 Lemon juice
- 1 Teaspoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO) BUY
- Pink Salt Flakes and cracked black pepper to taste BUY
- 200 Grams lettuce. we used red lettuce
- 200 Grams Heirloom cherry tomatoes halved
- 1 Capsicum/Pepper red, sliced thinly
- 1/2 Red Onion sliced thinly
- 1/2 Cucumber sliced thinly
- 100 Grams black or kalamata olives, pitted and halved
- 1 avocado, sliced thinly
- 1 Batch Easy thermomix mayonnaise or any creamy dressing/aioli Recipe
Preheat oven to 80°C.
Fill a baking dish with EVOO, just big enough for the tuna to fit in, with small gaps between. The reason for this is so you don't waste oil. Test with a piece of tuna. Then take the tuna out.
Place the EVOO in the oven until it reaches 70-80°C. Check every 5 minutes.
When it's reached temp, put the tuna in the oil and return the dish to the oven. Turn oven down to 70°C. Cook for 15 minutes exactly. Remove tuna from the oil. Press black sesame seeds onto one side, optional. You can also sear the tuna with the seeds to make it look amazing. Don't overcook it though, or you have kind of destroyed the whole point of confit.
Meanwhile, place eggs into the simmering basket and insert into the Thermomix bowl. Fill with water. Cook 5 min/100/speed 2.
Place green beans into the Varoma dish. Set Varoma into position and steam 11 min/Varoma/speed 2.
Place the beans straight into an ice bath so they keep their bright green colour. Peel cooled eggs and cut in half.
In a bowl, combine the cannellini beans, lemon juice, EVOO, salt and pepper, set aside.
Assemble salad on a platter; lettuce, tomatoes, capsicum, onion, cucumber, olives. and cannellini beans. Slice tuna and place on top, with the mayonnaise drizzled all over.
That's all the recipes!
No more recipes to load