North African Curry Chicken
Oh wow. This amazing creamy curry is subtle but very delicious. An African curry but from Macau, it is created with a peanut butter and coconut sauce. I am not a big fan of peanut anything unless it is enrobed in chocolate...so this was a pleasant surprise. The peanutty-ness was not overwhelming at all and it just blended really well with the coconut and chicken! We loved it.
Originally from North Africa, this recipe has been tweaked by African immigrants residing in Macau (so it has a bit of Chinese cuisine thrown in for good measure.)
We invite you to come join our FREE TRIAL on the Insider Club to have extra Thermomixery each and every month! #recipesthatwork #youcandoit
- 1 Kilo chicken drumsticks
- 1/2 Tablespoon curry powder
- 1/2 Tablespoon Smoked Paprika
- 1 Teaspoon Pink Salt Flakes BUY
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO) for frying + 20g more BUY
- 1 Brown Onion
- 3 Garlic Cloves
- 20 Grams Fresh Ginger
- 2 Red Chillie(s)
- 1 Tablespoon Smoked Paprika
- 2 Tablespoons curry powder
- 400 Grams liquid chicken stock
- 1 Tin Coconut Milk
- 80 Grams Peanut Butter Recipe
- 60 Grams oyster sauce
- 2 Bay Leaf fresh or dried
- 3 potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 Capsicum/Pepper red, de-seeded and diced
- parsley for garnish
Preheat oven to 180°C. Heat a large, heavy based ovenproof skillet over medium heat.
Coat the drumsticks with the curry powder, paprika and salt. Then fry in hot EVOO to brown the chicken on both sides.
Place onion, garlic, ginger, chillies and EVOO into the Thermomix bowl and chop 5 sec/speed 5. Then cook 5 min/Varoma/speed 1/MC off.
Add paprika and curry powder and cook 1 min/Varoma/speed 1/MC off.
Add remaining ingredients, except parsley and rice, and combine with a spatula then pour onto the chicken drumsticks.
Bake for 1 hour, uncovered.
Serve with parsley and steamed rice or as we did, Jollof Rice.
This is just one of our Insider recipes. Join us today and start cooking!