I am a bit of a Mexican food addict, and I especially love the fresh flavours of Tex Mex, which is less Mex and more Tex. I first saw this idea years ago when I was visiting good friends in Houston and we had something similar to this but using hominy instead of corn. Hominy is a corn that has been treated and is a staple of South American cuisine. It is hard to get in Australia though it is available in tins online if you try hard enough.
I do find fresh corn is just as good, and if you char it first, even superior perhaps, though the hominy does have a very distinctive taste that is not anything like corn.
Whatever you end up with in this recipe you can add in LOADS of everything fresh to make it go a long way. It is essentially a broth, and then just fill her up with your favourite veggies. (The kids love it too!!)
We invite you to come join our FREE TRIAL on the Insider Club to have extra Thermomixery each and every month! #recipesthatwork #youcandoit
Our newest (FREE to Insiders) course Shelf Control sort out your pantry and fridge and is ready for your shelfies now! We have an amazing Lazy Sourdough Bakery course available to do at your own pace online. Our delicious course, The Whole Scoop Ice Cream course is churning now!
- 4 - 5 cloves garlic
- 1 Handful fresh oregano
- 1 Handful fresh coriander or cilantro (plus some more for serving)
- 1 red chilli
- 1 red onion peeled and halved
- 2 limes, zest, finely grated
- 1 Teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 Tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO) BUY
- 1 Litre Bone Broth or liquid chicken stock Recipe
- 2 limes, juice
- 2 corn cobs, kernels only
- 1 Batch Shredded Chicken Recipe
- 250 Grams heirloom tomatoes, halved
- 2 spring onions, thinly sliced
- 1 red capsicum, diced
- 1 - 2 sliced avocado (drizzle with lime juice)
- 1/4 cabbage, shredded (You can use any cabbage you wish for this)
- fresh coriander or cilantro leaves
- 1 Pack plain corn chips
- Sour cream (optional)
Place garlic, oregano, coriander, chilli, onion, lime zest, cumin and EVOO into Thermomix bowl and chop 5 sec/speed 6.
Sauté 5 min/Varoma/speed 1/MC off
Add remaining soup ingredients except corn.
Cook 10 min/100ºC/Reverse/speed soft.
Add corn and cook a further 4 min/100ºC/Reverse/speed soft.
Serve immediately in large soup bowls, and top with all other ingredients.