You all should know I have a South African business partner….and one day I get a call from her saying that I have been booked to do a private lesson for an African Aussie, who is a friend of a friend of a friend (well networked) who has purchased a second hand Thermomix, without an EDC (Everyday Cookbook in commonspeak) and she needs some instructions…she would like to do a curry, a bit spicy if possible and could I come up with something? ‘Sure’ I say, go straight to google, and there seriously is not that much around that I like the sound of…that is African, spicy, chicken and well…curry enough. SO…here is my take on Cape Malay chicken curry….make the powder and use in another dish, (possibly coming to a blog near you!) It is divine.
Oh, and should you or anyone you know need a private thermomix lesson, just shoot us an email. We will happily oblige, negotiable rates…and I am willing to travel…France, Italy, Spain, Canada, Fremantle….you name it, I’ll pack my curry powder and go there…when I get home again that is... Curry Powder
Thanks for reading and please subscribe to have each update delivered to your inbox weekly.
Or better yet, come join us on the Insider Club to have extra Thermomixery each and every month!
- 1 Tablespoon cloves
- 3 Tablespoons Coriander Seed(s)
- 2 Tablespoons cumin seeds
- 1 Tablespoon fenugreek seeds
- 1 Tablespoon black mustard seeds
- 2 Tablespoons peppercorns
- 1 Tablespoon ground ginger
- 1 Tablespoon ground cardamom ( I used freshly ground…straight to spice heaven!)
- 3 Tablespoons ground tumeric
- 2 - 3 curry leaves
- 3 small dried chillies
- Pinches Pink Salt Flakes Pink salt flakes BUY
- 3 - 4 Tablespoons curry powder
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1/2 red onion
- 1 Piece ginger (thumb sized), peeled
- 2 Teaspoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO) EVOO BUY
- 1 x 400 Gram Dried Tomatoes tin of chopped tomatoes
- 250 Grams water
- 1 Tablespoon Chicken Stock Powder Recipe
- 2 carrots, sliced thinly
- 2 small potatoes, diced
- 3 Tablespoons Coconut Sugar rapadura sugar or Coconut Palm Sugar
- Few curry leaves
- 1 Kilo Chicken thighs, diced
- 1 lemon, juice
- A few coriander leaves to garnish
- Salt to taste if needed
Place all ingredients into Thermomix bowl and dry roast 15 min/Varoma/speed 2. (OR; place all into dry fry pan and cook on induction 8 until just smoking, this will prevent any bitterness from the unroasted mustard seeds!)
Allow to cool before milling 2 min/speed 8.
Place into airtight jar until use…but use quickly as flavours will not stay as fragrant after about 1-2 weeks.
Place curry powder, garlic, onion, ginger and EVOO into Thermomix bowl and chop 6 sec/speed 6. Scrape down sides of bowl and saute 5 min/Varoma/speed 1.
Add tomatoes, water, Powdered Chicken Stock, carrots, potatoes, sugar and curry leaves to Thermomix bowl and cook 15 min/100º/speed 1/Reverse. Check that potatoes are done, you should cut them quite small and evenly for this timing
Add chicken to bowl and cook 5-7 min/100ºC/speed 1/Reverse. Add lemon juice and stir through 3 sec/speed 1/Reverse.
Allow to rest for about 10 minutes either in Thermomix bowl or insulated serving bowl before serving garnished with coriander leaves accompanied with rice or flat bread.
That's all the recipes!
No more recipes to load