Cape Malay Chicken CurryMake on Fresco
SO…here is my take on Cape Malay chicken curry….make the powder and use in another dish. It too is divine. This was created for a private Thermomix lesson I did for a South African client who was a bit over the bland curries that are out there in Thermomix land! This is not bland. Rest assured!
Oh, and should you or anyone you know need a private thermomix lesson, just shoot us an email. We will happily oblige, negotiable rates…and I am willing to travel…France, Italy, Spain, Canada, Fremantle….you name it, I’ll pack my curry powder and go there…when I get home again that is.
We invite you to come join our FREE TRIAL on the Insider Club to have extra Thermomixery each and every month! #recipesthatwork #youcandoit
Are you on Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest? Never miss another thing in the test kitchen when you follow us.
Please join our mailing list HERE to have recipe updates delivered to your inbox weekly and don't forget we are on YouTube.
Our newest (FREE to Insiders) course Shelf Control sort out your pantry and fridge and is ready for your shelfies now! We have an amazing Lazy Sourdough Bakery course available to do at your own pace online. Our delicious course, The Whole Scoop Ice Cream course is churning now!
- 4 cloves
- 3 Tablespoons Coriander Seeds
- 2 Tablespoons cumin seeds
- 1 Tablespoon fenugreek seeds
- 1 Tablespoon black mustard seeds
- 2 Tablespoons peppercorns
- 1 Tablespoon Ground ginger
- 1 Tablespoon ground cardamom ( I used freshly ground…straight to spice heaven!)
- 3 Tablespoons ground turmeric
- 2 - 3 curry leaves
- 3 small dried chillies
- Pinches pink salt flakes BUY
- 3 - 4 Tablespoons curry powder (see above)
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1/2 red onion
- 30 Grams fresh ginger peeled
- 2 Teaspoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO) BUY
- 400 Grams diced tomatoes tinned
- 1 Tablespoon Chicken Stock Powder Recipe
- 2 carrots, sliced thinly
- 1 sweet potato, diced
- 3 Tablespoons coconut sugar
- Few curry leaves
- 1 Kilo chicken thighs, diced
- 80 Grams fresh lemon juice
- 1 Handful fresh coriander or cilantro leaves to garnish
- pink salt flakes to taste BUY
Place all ingredients into dry fry pan and cook a medium high heat until just smoking, this will prevent any bitterness from the unroasted mustard seeds!
Allow to cool before milling 2 min/speed 8.
Place into airtight jar until use…but use quickly as flavours will not stay as fragrant after about 4-6 weeks.
Place curry powder, garlic, onion, ginger and EVOO into Thermomix bowl and chop 6 sec/speed 6. Scrape down sides of bowl and saute 5 min/Varoma/speed 1.
Add tomatoes, Chicken Stock powder, carrots, sweet potato, sugar and curry leaves to Thermomix bowl and cook 15 min/100ºC/Reverse/speed 1. Check that sweet potatoes are done, you should cut them quite small and evenly for this timing.
Add chicken to bowl and cook 5-7 min/100ºC/Reverse/speed 1. Add lemon juice and stir through 3 sec/Reverse/speed 1.
Allow to rest for about 10 minutes either in Thermomix bowl or insulated serving bowl before serving garnished with coriander leaves accompanied with rice or flat bread or both. I love Turmeric yoghurt with this too.
That's all the recipes!
No more recipes to load