I remember when I was a kid, my dad cooking bubble and squeak generally for breakfast with all sorts of leftovers from dinners past. Somehow, as I was cooking up the Brussels sprouts I was reminded of that. Although this salad is entirely unlike it, I had a little surge of nostalgia. I still miss my dad. But you know, bacon, (not) cabbage, but similar, and that is the end of similarity!
I digress. So this salad was a great evening salad one day, but I think it would be fantastic as lunch with some poached eggs, and amazing crusty bread, of which, we have loads of recipes! See below, and enjoy.
We invite you to come join our FREE TRIAL on the Insider Club to have extra Thermomixery each and every month! #recipesthatwork #youcandoit
- 100 Grams Puy lentils (the French green ones)
- water for steaming
- Pink Salt Flakes as needed BUY
- 250 Grams shortcut bacon, cut into lardons
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO) as needed BUY
- 1 Kilo mixed Brussels Sprouts if you can get them, or just green otherwise, halved
- Black Pepper as needed
- 1 Handful Fresh Mint leaves picked
- 1 Handful Flat Leaf Parsley leaves picked
- 3 Teaspoons Raw Caster Sugar BUY
- 50 Grams Fresh Lemon Juice
- 50 Grams sherry vinegar or red wine vinegar
- 100 Grams Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO) BUY
- 1 Pinch Pink Salt Flakes BUY
Place the lentils into the simmering basket and give them a good rinse. Insert basket into the Thermomix bowl and fill the bowl with water so you can just see the water amongst the lentils. Add a good pinch of salt on top. Steam 40 min/100°C/speed 4. Drain bowl and allow lentils to cool slightly. If the lentils are not soft, add more cooking time. The time can vary based on how dry the lentils are, how long they have been stored etc.
Fry the bacon until crispy. Set aside.
Using the same frying pan, fry the Brussels sprouts using EVOO as required to keep them moving around easily. There will also be some bacon fat in the pan, which is great. Season them well as they fry.
Toss them with the lentils, bacon and fresh herbs.
To make the dressing place all ingredients into the Thermomix bowl and blend 10 sec/speed 8. Drizzle over the salad and serve whilst warm.
That's all the recipes!
No more recipes to load