California Smoked Trout Salad with Macadamias
I love a recipe challenge and as we are headed to Pemberton for WoW in November, the requirement to feature the Wild Foods of the Southern Forests in our menu was a challenge I was excited about.
Originally this event was planned for much earlier in the year but of course COVID happened and it had to be delayed. Luckily, because we were able to add avocados to the list of must use ingredients from this region of Western Australia. There is also smoked trout and macadamias to be sourced locally for this recipe when we are down there too. YAY.
This salad is loosely based on something I would expect to see on a menu in LA, thus the name. It has the typical avocado and macadamia elements of Cali and then there is loads of Asian style salads available there. That is my story and I am sticking to it. Whatever it is called, it is completely delish and got a big thumbs up from my harshest critics, the family! SO there you go.
I know you'll love it. Leave me a comment and let me know!
We invite you to come join our FREE TRIAL on the Insider Club to have extra Thermomixery each and every month! #recipesthatwork #youcandoit
Our newest (FREE to Insiders) course Shelf Control sort out your pantry and fridge and is ready for your shelfies now! We have an amazing Lazy Sourdough Bakery course available to do at your own pace online. Our delicious course, The Whole Scoop Ice Cream course is churning now!
- 2 cloves garlic
- 30 Grams fresh ginger (weight after peeling)
- 1/2 red chilli (reserve other half for salad)
- 60 Grams soy sauce
- 20 Grams coconut sugar
- 20 Grams apple cider vinegar
- 120 Grams fresh lime or lemon juice
- 1 Teaspoon ground white pepper
- 1 Piece dried chilli flakes
- 2 Teaspoons Dried herbs of choice
- 100 Grams Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO) BUY
- 1/2 Napa or Wombok cabbage, shredded
- 4 stalks celery, sliced thinly on the angle
- 6 spring onions, sliced on the angle
- 1 capsicum/bell pepper red, deseeded and diced
- 2 shallots, finely diced
- 1 Bunch fresh coriander or cilantro finely chopped
- 2 Handfuls fresh herbs of choice, we used mint, basil, Vietnamese laksa leaves and perilla leaves
- 1-2 ripe avocados, peeled and diced
- 1 Punnet Heirloom cherry tomatoes cut into quarters
- 200 Grams hot smoked trout, (smoked salmon or smoked chicken are worthy substitutes)
- Generous Handfuls fresh bean sprouts
- 1 Handful roasted salted macadamias, roughly chopped
To make the dressing place all ingredients except EVOO into the Thermomix bowl and blend 10 sec/speed 10
Add EVOO and combine 5 sec/speed 5. Set aside until ready to serve salad.
Prepare salad in a very large mixing bowl by combining all ingredients except macadamia nuts. Toss gently with a little of the dressing.
Serve immediately with plenty more dressing drizzled over and garnished with the chopped macadamias.
This is just one of our Insider recipes. Join us today and start cooking!