Pasta Fagioli meaning pasta and beans, is a traditional Italian peasant dish. Like all great Italian dishes, it relies on beautiful ingredients. It is ultra simple but so delicious. The recipe varies greatly based on the region or town in which it is prepared, depending on available ingredients. The consistency of the dish can vary, with some being soupy, while others are much thicker. This one is somewhere in the middle but will definitely thicken on standing. It is not unlike the flavours of minestrone, that other fantastic Italian staple.
We are pretty sure you will love it! We sure did.
We invite you to come join our FREE TRIAL on the Insider Club to have extra Thermomixery each and every month! #recipesthatwork #youcandoit
- 1 Brown Onion peeled and halved
- 4 Garlic Cloves
- 1 carrot, roughly chopped
- 2 celery stalks, roughly chopped
- 300 Grams bacon, roughly chopped
- 30 Grams Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO) BUY
- 1 Tin Crushed Tomatoes
- 900 Grams liquid chicken or vegetable stock
- 2 Tins Cannellini Bean(s) drained and rinsed
- 250 Grams macaroni or any small pasta
- 1 Handful parsley, chopped. Save some for garnish
- Pink Salt Flakes and pepper to taste BUY
- 1/2 Teaspoon Dried Red Chilli Flakes
Place onion, garlic, carrot, celery, bacon and EVOO into the Thermomix bowl. Chop 3 sec/speed 5. Cook 8 min/Varoma/speed 1/MC off.
Add tomatoes, stock and beans. Cook 15 min/100/Reverse/speed soft.
Add pasta, parsley, salt, pepper and chilli flakes. Cook 12 min/100°C/Reverse/speed soft. Or until pasta is al dente.
Serve with a garnish of parsley and crusty bread if possible!