Oh yes, we are in full BBQ swing in this part of the world, particularly with Christmas pool parties upon us. I know if you are reading this in some distant snowy clime, you will just marvel at the idea of us all splashing around in serious heat, while we whip up a storm on our BBQ’s of choice but really....bookmark this recipe for a summer’s day, (and then play Jingle Bells while you turn the kebabs) to channel your inner Aussie!
These are a very tasty morsel indeed and paired with a salad or three, you will be the toast of the BBQ scene in no time. (Plus you can prep ahead, and be enjoying the occasion as much as everyone else!) Merry Christmix! Happy Summertime.
- 4 chicken thigh fillets, cut into 5cm square pieces
- 4 tbsp smoked paprika
- 2 tsp dried chili flakes
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp each cumin and coriander seeds
- 3 cm piece fresh ginger
- 3 tsp Pink Salt Flakes pink salt flakes BUY
- Frehsly cracked black pepper to taste
- 1 clove
- a little freshly grated nutmeg to taste
- 1/4 tsp ground allspice
- 1 lemon, zest only, finely grated
Charred Corn Salsa
- 2 cobs fresh corn
- 1 red capsicum, diced
- 1-2 Lebanese cucumbers, sliced
- 2-3 spring onions (green onions) sliced on the angle
- 1 Handful grape tomatoes, halved lengthways
- 1 Tin Beans - Red Kidney kidney beans, drained and rinsed BUY
- 1 Handful each coriander (cilantro) and oregano leaves
- 1 Pinch Pink Salt Flakes pink salt flakes BUY
- Cobram Estate Extra Virgin Olive Oil EVOO as needed BUY
- 1 orange, zest and juice as needed
Prepare chicken and place into a large mixing bowl.
Place all remaining ingredients into TM bowl and 10 sec/speed 10.
Tip onto the chicken and stir until all surfaces are covered with the spice rub.
Allow to marinate for at least 2 hours before placing on skewers.
Grill or BBQ on a high heat until well charred and cooked through.
Serve hot with Charred Corn Salsa.
TO make the Charred Corn Salsa, simply char grill the corn cobs directly on your BBQ, turning until well blackened and the corn kernals are softened. Cool before slicing corn from the cob horizontally.
Toss corn with all remaining ingredients in a serving bowl and get ready to receive the compliments!