My friend and fellow foodie, the very cute and totally talented Tamara Graffen posted this recipe into her Instagram stories and I quickly messaged her to see if it was OK if I Thermomixed it up for you...we went off script a bit with some dōTERRA Oils in the dough which by the way is the best idea ever! So fragrant and Easter-ey!
PLUS, as we are in isolation (and so are you) we thought we would try and shoot a little recipe video. This is our first attempt, and it's not bad. Thanks to my daughter in law for the hard work! We did one batch of larger donuts, (that you didn't see in the video) which were dough-ey in the middle, so my top tips for doughnut making are as follows:
- These are an instant donut, no rise required, so smaller is better. Bite sized pieces of dough will cook pretty fast and all the way through.
- Have your oil at a steady 170-180°C
- Use a digital thermometer to get this right if possible. Guess work doesn't work.
- Roll them whilst they are still pretty hot in the spiced sugar, the sugar adheres better
- DON'T burn your mouth on them...just give yourself a beat before serving up!
Happy donutting. We think that whilst these are not quite hot cross donuts, they are a good instant sub for Hot x Buns. YUM!
We invite you to come join our FREE TRIAL on the Insider Club to have extra Thermomixery each and every month! #recipesthatwork #youcandoit
Are you on Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest? Never miss another thing in the test kitchen when you follow us.
Please join our mailing list HERE to have recipe updates delivered to your inbox weekly and don't forget we are on YouTube.
Our newest (FREE to Insiders) course Shelf Control sort out your pantry and fridge and is ready for your shelfies now! We have an amazing Lazy Sourdough Bakery course available to do at your own pace online. Our delicious course, The Whole Scoop Ice Cream course is churning now!
- 165 Grams bakers or strong flour BUY
- 2 Teaspoons baking powder
- 1 Pinch pink salt flakes BUY
- 3 Tablespoons raw caster sugar plus more for tossing doughnuts BUY
- 265 Fresh Ricotta Cheese well drained Recipe
- 2 eggs, beaten lightly with a fork
- 1 Teaspoon vanilla bean paste BUY
- 4 Drops doTERRA wild orange oil BUY
- 2 Drops cinnamon bark oil BUY
- 2 Drops doTERRA cardamom oil
- 1-2 Teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1-2 Teaspoons Very Vanilla Chai Powder or other spices of choice Recipe
Place flour, baking powder, salt and sugar into the Thermomix bowl and blend 2 sec/speed 5.
Stir the eggs into the ricotta and add vanilla and doTERRA oils if using. Add to the flour mixture in the Thermomix bowl and knead 18 sec/Interval.
Heat the EVOO in a small saucepan until it reaches around 160°C. It will climb from this point and you should watch it closely. It should remain between 170°C and 180°C. Hotter than that they will burn before being fully cooked, colder and they will absorb a lot of oil.
Dollop a heaped tsp at a time of the batter into the hot oil. Cook and turn them as needed until golden and crispy on all sides. I suggest cooking a maximum of 4 per batch as the oil temp drops once you introduce the batter.
Meanwhile stir your selected spices including the cinnamon through a small bowlful of caster sugar.
Drain the doughnuts on a paper towel lined tray before tossing them in the spiced sugar. Serve hot and crispy. Though they are still yummy cold.
That's all the recipes!
No more recipes to load